Being distracted behind the wheel may not seem like the most dangerous activity you could be doing when driving, but tragically it took 2,841 lives in 2018 alone. Distracted driving by definition is a major factor in a car accident that can easily be avoided but sadly, is all too common. We explore the top 10 most common distractions that are recorded after accidents that have been caused, that could have been avoided.
The injury attorneys at Phoenix Accident and Injury Law Firm near you have significant experience in helping clients who have been in a distracted driving accident. Our offices are conveniently located in nearby Chandler, Peoria, and North Phoenix, and we can meet in-person at our nearby offices, over the phone, or video call. You can contact us for a free consultation, or read on to find out more about the common causes of distracted driving.
By the way, we will also help with other problems that have cost you sleep, like getting a rental car very soon and finding a nearby doctor who can help you. Even the best legal team isn’t good enough if your quality of life isn’t sustainable while justice and compensation are on the way. The whole point of legal action is to regain quality of life, so we help you long-term as attorneys and short-term as your go-to people. Our familiarity with the local Phoenix courts makes us confident that we can help you get the best settlement possible.
The 10 Most Common Causes of Distracted Driving
According to Safe Start, the most common cause of distracted driving is being ‘lost in thought’ or daydreaming with over 62% of accidents reported as being distracted driving incidents. And that figure isn’t too surprising as driving or traveling tends to be the only opportunity many of us have to sit and think about our thoughts.
We explore the most common distractions people have cited as an excuse for causing an accident;
- 62%- Being “lost in thought” the biggest cause of distracted driving fatalities is a driver’s mind wandering for long enough to lead to a collision and tragically someone’s death.
- 12%- cellphones. It’s probably no surprise that the second-leading cause of distraction-related car accidents is cellphones being used while driving- even the hands-free
- 7%- Known as “Rubbernecking” looking at a person, object or event outside is even more of a distraction than the person in the passenger seat!
- 5%- Other people in the car can often be very distracting when driving and 5% of crashes recorded resulted in a collision because of a passenger
- 2%- Using or reaching for something in the car like a satnav or cellphone can lead to a serious accident.
- 2%- Fiddling with controls. Whether it’s adjusting the volume or fixing climate controls even a moment is a factor in a small number of traffic fatalities.
- 2%- Eating and drinking. With every car having cupholders, it can be all too tempting to use them!
- 1% Smoking- One in a hundred accidents is related to lighting a cigarette, smoking, or putting it out.
- 1% moving objects- in the car such as insects and pets can lead to distraction and often a crash. At least one source suggests that it may be an underreported cause of distraction.
- Lastly, 1% of distracted accidents are caused by using controls built in the car like mirrors or seatbelts
As experienced accident attorneys, we’ve represented many distracted driving cases, helping hundreds of people to reach a settlement when they’ve been injured by someone who simply wasn’t paying enough attention.
If you’ve been involved in an accident with a distracted driver and want some advice about your case, why not speak to our team today.
Get Help Now
At Phoenix Accident and Injury Law Firm near you, we have more than 15 years of experience helping clients obtain compensation for their personal injuries, including those from distracted driving accidents in the Phoenix area. When you’re ready to talk, please contact our office to arrange a free initial consultation by phone or at our Chandler office, conveniently located near you.
If you have been in a distracted driving accident, contact Phoenix Accident and Injury Law Firm in nearby Chandler, AZ to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. We provide personal injury legal services to clients in your area including Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, and Peoria.